Monday, November 1, 2010

Reflection on the CCASL Retreat


By: Alison-Claire Caputo

The CCASL Leadership Retreat this fall was my first time seeing the beauty of Camp Cross and my first time having the chance to meet all the other student leaders and all of the CCASL staff. This could have proven to be a very overwhelming and daunting experience, as I knew nearly no one, but of course it was the exact opposite! Everyone I met was incredibly welcoming and friendly, and ready to bring me into the fold. On the retreat we were split into smaller groups and assigned one CCASL staff member to be our group leader. What I loved most about this idea is that I will be with my group for the rest of the year, and we have great plans to keep in touch and keep each other motivated throughout the year. Just last weekend my group went to our leader Sima’s house for chili and pumpkin carving and to check in on how the semester is going. Another great part of the retreat was the trust building exercises we attempted in larger groups. This allowed more people to meet each other and work together, and to realize how many other students are involved in CCASL and what a great support system we have in each other. Finally, a few CCASL leaders gave testimonials about how Service Learning and Social Justice have shaped and changed their lives, and the chance to hear these more intimate portraits was a great gift. I realized that aligning yourself to these principles is a journey, and a different one for everyone, but never to give up on our drive to see a better future for the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment